Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Recipe 20: Chicken Marsala

 So the next recipe that I made while in Texas was chicken Marsala.  I actually was going to make a different version of this, then lost the recipe.  But I found this one and it was pretty good, so it all worked out in the end!

Here is a picture of the final result:


And here is the recipe that I used:

Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour for coating
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - pounded 1/4 inch thick
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 4 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 cup sliced mushrooms
  • 1/2 cup Marsala wine
  • 1/4 cup cooking sherry

Directions

  1. In a shallow dish or bowl, mix together the flour, salt, pepper and oregano. Coat chicken pieces in flour mixture.
  2. In a large skillet, melt butter in oil over medium heat. Place chicken in the pan, and lightly brown. Turn over chicken pieces, and add mushrooms. Pour in wine and sherry. Cover skillet; simmer chicken 10 minutes, turning once, until no longer pink and juices run clear.

Changes

I didn't make a whole lot of changes to this.  The one pick change was that I increased the amount of sauce that I made as well as the number of mushrooms.

For the sauce, I just added Marsala wine, but I added slightly more than 1 cup of it.  I probably also added about 2 cups of mushrooms.  In addition I added about half of an onion at the same time that I added the mushrooms.

The Process

So the first step was to coat the chicken in the flour mixture.  To do this I used an ingenious technique that one of the comments gave.  I mixed everything in a large Ziploc bag, shown below, and then one by one I added the chicken breasts and coated them.  It worked so great!


Here are the chicken breasts all coated and ready to cook.

 Next I melted the butter in the pan and added the chicken.  I really only have one frying pan, so I was a little worried about the size, but everything worked out.

Once the chicken was done I added the Marsala wine, mushrooms,  and onions to the mixture and cooked it up.
 I then covered the skillet and let it cook for 10 minutes, stirring it occasionally, and viola! The meal was done!
 This was a really simple recipe, but I think that it turned out great.  The onions were definitely a good touch, and I guess that I don't know what the sauce was like with Marsala wine and Sherry, but with just Marsala it was pretty great. 

No comments: