I used two recipes for this meal, the first was Spanish Style Chicken and Sausage and the second was Roasted Potatoes with Greens.
Here is the final dish, included with a croissant. (which I did not make).
Roasted Potatoes with Greens
- 6 small red potatoes, quartered
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Place the potatoes in a single layer in a ceramic casserole dish. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, and cook until golden. Stir in the rosemary, and cook just until fragrant. Pour over the potatoes in the dish. Season with sea salt and pepper.
- Roast uncovered for about 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until the potatoes are fork tender. Remove from the oven, and toss with the spinach leaves. Return to the oven for 1 to 2 minutes, until the spinach has wilted.
Spanish Style Chicken and Sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage, sliced
- 1 (8 ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cubes chicken bouillon
- 1 2/3 cups hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 1/2 cups instant rice
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in sausage, and brown well, about 5 minutes. Remove, and drain fat. Stir chicken, onion, and green pepper into skillet, and cook 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir bouillon cubes into hot water to dissolve. Stir in salt, thyme, and garlic powder. Pour into skillet.
- Stir peas into skillet, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer about 5 minutes. Stir in rice and tomatoes; cover, remove from heat, and let stand 5 minutes.
ChangesThe main change that I made to this recipe was how I made the rice. I made the rice separate from the main dish. And then when it was done I added everything. I am lucky enough to have a rice cooker, so that made this part really easy, but I think it made the rice better and would definitely recommend it.
I made the potatoes first. So I cut them all up, then made the sauce with rosemary and garlic.
Then I poured the sauce over the potatoes and mixed it around and put them in the oven.
Once that was completed I cut up the sausage and also started the rice.
I then added the chicken and sausage and other ingredients to the skillet.
At this point, Sprinkles thought that my computer was something she needed to stand on.
Here is the mixture before the rice was added, I was just waiting a little while before the rice finished.
Sprinkles decided to hide in the closet so I followed her and took pictures.
At that time the potatoes were done. Here they are removed from the oven.
And very quickly after that the rice was done and I added it to the main dish. I didn't cook it it at all I just mixed it together and let it sit for a little while before eating.
I thought that this was a really great dish. It tasted great and I think that the potatoes complemented the dish well. It has been awhile since I had this, but I remember really enjoying it.