I marked this recipe a long time ago as something that I wanted to try. Overall, it was pretty simple and quick, but it contains a lot of ingredients that I really like and I think the result was terrific.
Here is the recipe that I used (Link):
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) jar chunky salsa
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Crumble sausage into skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until browned and no longer pink, about 7 minutes. Remove sausage with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Pour off all but 1 tablespoon oil from the skillet. Heat oil over medium heat and add bell peppers, onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 7 minutes.
- Add to the skillet the potatoes, sausage, salsa and cumin. Stir and cook about 5 minutes to heat through and blend flavors. Season with salt and pepper.
DirectionsThe only thing worth pointing out was how I served this. I think that what really made this meal was the addition of sour cream and pitas. Spooning it up with pitas was really good.
The ProcessThe first step was to peel the sweet potatoes. Sprinkles was interested
At least until she smelled it.... She then immediately recoiled.
Once the potatoes were peeled and diced, I started cooking them. I then chopped up the sausage and started cooking that as well.
After the meat was done I cooked the veggies in the pan. Then I mixed everything together and cooked it a little while while stirring.
Here is just the dish.
And here is the entire meal. Again, I think that the pita and sour cream made this dish amazing. I thought this was really good and it was easy to make as well which was an added bonus.