Sunday, February 12, 2012

Recipe 3: Baby Back Ribs

 So one of the things that I have decided to try this year is to cook something new every week.  This was designed to accomplish an increase in my cooking abilities and also to have new food all the time.

I don't think that what I normally make is bad, but I really wanted to try new recipies.  The first two recipies went well enough, and then I decided to make sure that I actually remember what I am doing and chronicle the journey.

 So the third recipe was this week and I decided to try something that I have always wanted to make, Baby Back Ribs!

I went with the most highly rated recipe from Allrecipes.com, and it was also really simple so that helped a lot.  Here is the recipe, and a link:

Ingredients

  • 2 pounds pork baby back ribs
  • 1 (18 ounce) bottle barbecue sauce

Directions

  1. Tear off 4 pieces of aluminum foil big enough to enclose each portion of ribs. Spray each piece of foil with vegetable cooking spray. Brush the ribs liberally with barbeque sauce and place each portion in its own piece of foil. Wrap tightly and refrigerate for at least 8 hours, or overnight.
  2. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
  3. Bake ribs wrapped tightly in the foil at 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) for 2 1/2 hours. Remove from foil and add more sauce, if desired.
 So I made one major change based on the reccomendations of other users.  Instead of using BBQ sauce I decided to use a dry rub instead.  This is the dry rub that I used:
  • 1/4c. brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp. paprika
  •  1 Tbsp. salt
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp. black pepper 
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 tsp. onion powder 
  • 1/4 tsp. cayenne red pepper. 
 I think that it might have been supposed to be for a bigger rack of ribs, but I just used this on one rack.
 
 Here is a picture of the rack with the dry rub, about to go in the oven.


 After cooking the ribs for 2.5 hours I took it out.  Then I rubbed some BBQ sauce on the top of it and put it under the broiler.  I probably broiled it for about 10 minutes.  Here is a picture of the ribs after being cooked.

Finally, a picture of the ribs ready to eat.Overall, I was pretty impressed with the result.  It was really simple and it turned out really great.  If anyone want's to make Baby Back Ribs I would certainly reccommend this recipe.


1 comment:

michael said...

looks like there are pealing away from the bone! really good :)