So I decided to experiment I had already made the crab pot pie earlier in the summer, so I decided to try a ground beef version, which is shown below:
And here is the recipe that I used (link):
- 1 pound ground beef
- onion, chopped
- condensed vegetable beef soup, undiluted
- condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- carrots, sliced
- black pepper
- 1 pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C.)
- In a large skillet, cook the ground beef and chopped onion until meat is no longer pink. Remove from heat and drain off excess fat. Stir in the vegetable beef and cream of mushroom soups, the potatoes and carrots. Season with salt and pepper. Divide filling between 2 - 9 inch pie plates.
- Roll pastry to fit the top of each pie. Cover each pie and cut slits in top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until golden brown. Let stand on a wire rack for 15 minutes before serving.
ChangesI made this a while ago, but I don't actually remember any changes that I made. I do think that it is important to point out that this makes 2 pies. Which is a lot of food. It made me for over a week.... and by the end I was... kind of tired of meat pie. So just be fore warned, either cut this recipe in half or expect to be eating a lot of meat pie!
The ProcessThe process of making this was actually really simple. I just mixed everything together in a huge pot. First I put in the meat and onions:
After the hamburger was browned I added the soups, carrots and potatoes.
Then I mixed everything together really well to finish the filling.
I just premade pie crusts. Normally I would use the kind that you roll out into the pie plate, but since I had no pie plate I didn't really have a choice. I took one crust and put it on top the pie crust with the filling. The picture below shows one completed and another without the top. I then cut slits and baked them.
And here is the end result. The only thing that I would change is to cook it for a little longer. I was playing volleyball and so when the timer went off I just ran in and took them out of the oven then went back and played again. Had I looked closer I think it could have used a few more minutes. But I still really enjoyed it. I don't think it was as good as the chicken pot pie, but still really good.